Topic-by-topic, some of the most frequently asked questions about eBay use in brief, easy-to-digest portions are:
Ebay Uk Money Back Guarantee
Ebay Seller Protection Faq
Ebay Money Back Guarantee
Ebay Buyer Faqs
How To Sell On Ebay?
How Do I Buy On Ebay?
Do You Have To Pay To Sell On Ebay?
Ebay Seller Support Faqs
What is the ebay contact number to talk with ebay customer service?
Are Items On Ebay Used & How Dose Ebay Work?
Ebay Fees Faqs
Involved In Selling On Ebay?
Ebay Selling Question?
My Ebay Account
Ebay Customer Service
Now we all are pretty much aware that it’s so easy to shop eBay without having any prior knowledge about it, though many online shoppers have discovered that eBay is way different from buy.com or amazon.com or overstock.com.
eBay is a very special kind of shopping setting where a little knowledge regarding what actually works as well as what to expect, can really make a huge impact on your decision whether to enjoy pleasant money-saving deals or a decision when you never wish to hear or see about eBay, ever again.
And in case if you are giving a serious thought of being a regular shopper on eBay, just go through all the following critical points:
What is eBay?
Now we can simply define eBay as:
- A perfect place to purchase: You can purchase nearly anything you wish at rates which are quite competitive than any of the traditional brick & mortar as well as any Online Store. And though there are numerous rotten deals on eBay, you need to be very careful to come out ahead.
- A perfect place to put up for sale: Whether you are a big time retailer or just a first timer who wishes to clear out his garage, almost anything you put on eBay will definitely sell if your rates are flexible enough. eBay’s outstanding global reach can even turn unusual items such as paperweights into hard cash.
- A perfect place to meet: Now eBay actually doesn’t sell any of the goods by itself. Each of the eBay goods are sold as well as delivered by many 3rd party sellers, who are not at all related with eBay. eBay provides an excellent platform to numerous sellers and entrepreneurs to reach global buyers and to provide all buyers an access to the world’s biggest collection of things.
- A perfect place to shop around: Due to the vast range of things (running into millions) which are put up for sale on eBay, it is one of the finest places in the whole wide world to shop around. And all these listed items created by numerous 3rd party sellers usually include detailed descriptions, photos as well as their self experiences. And as all the buyers are able to view the lots of the similar items simultaneously in various conditions and make out the selling price of each item, eBay provides you a proper insight into their real market values.
- A perfect place for collection: Now eBay is famous for being the world’s biggest marketplace for various discontinued, rare and hard-to-find collectible items. So, whether you’re seeking any vintage box cameras, classic handiworks, 80’s classic arcade games or antique army service medals, eBay would provide you with a platform for the selection range way better than anyone else could provide.
- Just a Website: There ain’t any physical eBay shop or store. It was founded in San Jose and is now is being operated from many cities. Its services are completely online and all of the business aspects (other than the sold or bought items delivery) are usually handled via its website.
- Free membership: It’s free to join eBay and become the member anytime, anywhere as well as to purchase goods from eBay. Though, sellers have to pay a minimal amount in order to list the sale items and one smaller margin of the value after selling the item. And there are no hidden costs or any sort of monthly fees.
- Eco-friendly: eBay has proven track of being environmental friendly. And thanks to eBay, tons and tons of goods which otherwise would be dumped into landfills or any recycling programs instead would find new homes each year. These items usually include many electronic products such as mobile phones and computer parts which in turn release poisonous substances after being discarded and when exposed to the surroundings.
- Social responsibility: As eBay eliminates all the middlemen as well as shrinks the barriers of selling and buying, it allows numerous rural handicraft manufacturers such as potters and bead weavers all around the world to sell their goods directly to a bigger global client-base. Now this in turn invites new and better economic prospects to various developing regions globally.
Therefore by nearly any statistics, eBay has successfully achieved its entire desired mission and that also in the online universe. Just sign in on eBay and explore yourself its success story by turning your prehistoric junk into fresh hard cash or just shop online for great deals.
What is item listing?
Now item listings are the fundamental way to sell and buy on eBay. And each of the items which are placed for sale purpose on eBay is symbolized by an item listing formed by the seller of the particular item. These are just like newspaper classified ads listings where every listing symbolizes something. So, whenever you search eBay to shop for things, eBay would show you the item listings having the following information:
- Price: Now the prices could either be fixed or variable which actually depends on whether any seller is merely selling or auctioning their items via eBay.
- Trustworthiness: Item listings also include feedback system which allows all the users to rate the products as well as their respective sellers.
- Item features: Item listings usually include snaps as well as the details of the items listed for sale, helping buyers to decide whether to purchase the particular item or not.
- Terms and conditions: Item listings also include the details regarding whether all the sellers accept the returns or how shipment is being made as well as its cost and various information which buyers might have in their mind before finally purchasing the items.
- To buy or to bid: Item listings offer a ‘Buy it Now’ button to allow buyers to purchase as well as pay for the particular item, a ‘Place Bid’ button to allow buyers to bid on a particular item or/and a ‘Make Offer’ button to initiate an offer to various sellers who are flexible on price.
What are the Listing Formats?
The following quick guide will provide you with the details of the fundamental eBay auction listing formats list, what to expect as well as how to use these to your best advantage:
Classic auction format:
The format which is considered to be the launching pad for eBay allows the sellers all around the globe to decide on their starting bid as well as the auction duration. Afterwards eBay buyers bid on their favorite items.
Then the price is raised along with each of the bid. Finally (after the time runs out) the highest bidder wins the particular item and has to make the payment for it along with any additional handling or shipping charges.
Auction format with reserve price option:
Now this auction format features an option to set a secret price for those who are unwilling to sell their item below that secret set price. The bidding proceeds as usual but if the bids doesn’t meet the expected price when the time runs out, it’s not mandatory for the seller to sell his/her items to the chief bidder and they’re free to either keep the item or relist these using any of the eBay format.
Now for this format, the sellers need to apply on the standard auction listing form and from the list of seller features, just make sure to opt for the reserve price option.
Auction plus Buy It Now option:
Now this auction format features a clearly published price at which the seller is ready to sell the item willingly and immediately. All the prospective buyers might bid on the item but can also opt to make the payment immediately and the seller might have to immediately ship the item to them.
Now for this particular format, the sellers have to apply on the standard auction listing form and from the list of seller features, just make sure to opt for the Buy It Now option.
Fixed Price Listing Format:
Now according to this format, any seller can merely set their price as well as the duration for the listing. Then in order to buy the particular item, the bidder should be willing to pay the price which the seller has specified. And the set price is not meant for any bidding or negotiation.
Now for this particular format, the sellers are required to apply on the standard auction listing form and while posting the auction listing, just make sure to select the ‘Fixed Price’ option under the ‘Create Your Listing’ page.
eBay Stores Listing Format:
Now just like Fixed Price Listing format, this format also lists all the sale item at a fixed price, but these are only listed in the eBay store instead of the regular eBay listing groups which enables all the buyers to browse.
Now these items might appear on the eBay search, but these won’t be featured as prominently or/and might need some extra efforts to be found. This format is usually chosen by the sellers with bigger inventories.
Now for this particular format, the sellers are required to open an eBay Store online in order to use it.
eBay Motors Listing Format:
Now this format is quite subject-specific such as it could simply be an auction or an auction with a ‘Buy It Now’ or a ‘fixed price listing’ option, but this is specifically meant for eBay Motors categories and searches and therefore is ideal specifically for selling motor vehicles and its components.
Now for this particular format, the sellers are required to apply on the eBay Motors auction listing form.
Real Estate Listing Format:
Now this format is again quite subject-specific. Such type of auctions are specifically meant for sale of land or real estate and are specifically subject to its own listing format rules and restrictions, which might differ from many usual eBay rules in numerous cases.
Now for this particular format, the sellers are required to apply on the standard auction listing form and choose the ‘Real Estate’ option.
eBay Classifieds Listing Format:
Now such format listings are posted on eBay Classifieds just like any classified ads in order to boost local sale as well as pickup. So instead of bidding, the buyers are supposed to contact the classified ad personally through emails if they wish to fulfill the transaction on mutually acceptable conditions. Classified listings can be directly accessed and viewed by searching eBay Classifieds.
Now for this particular format, the sellers are required to log on to the eBay Classifieds home page and then utilize all the selling tools which they can find there.
Want It Now Listing Format:
Now this particular listing format is way different from other formats on eBay as instead of sellers, it is posted by buyers and instead of describing a particular sale item, the description of any item proposed by a buyer is being posted. The prospective buyers are required to specify their price, their terms as well as the item’s descriptions which they’d wish to purchase and wait for the seller to contact them.
Now for this particular format, all the prospective buyers are required to utilize the ‘Want It Now’ listing form.
What is eBay Feedback System?
eBay’s Feedback system is one of the main pillars of its business model. And as its main motto is to provide a platform where sellers and buyers can connect with each other, it’s critically very significant for each of the participant to ensure the credibility of their respective trading partner.
How to evaluate eBay feedback system?
- First view the feedback percentage: Now in case if the feedback percentage is way too low, then there’s no point in continuing the trade any further.
- Check the feedback score: Now in case if the feedback percentage is higher but the score is way too low, just go with your gut instinct if you wish to deal with an inexperienced partner. And in case, if the score is way too low but the feedback percentage is marginal, you’re recommended to rule them out.
- Check out the joining date as well as the reasons for the negatives: Now in case, if both the score as well as the feedback percentage are okay, you can consider the lesser significant factor such as the joining date as well as the reasons for the negatives to analyze your prospective partner.
- Check out for the responses to the negatives as well as other factors: Now in case if you find everything else to be vague, just consider any other factor in the feedback profile such as the responses to the negatives or trade frequencies etc. before finalizing your decision.
When Not to Bid?
Now gradually the more you familiarize with eBay, the sooner you’ll gain the expertise in judging which auction listings to avoid, a sort of 6th sense which numerous longtime bidders develop.
Before bidding, one usually checks for the seller’s feedback profile. Now unless you’re able to develop the necessary 6th sense, we recommend you the following signs which should be considered as red flags other than the feedback profile, when you’re opting for a bid:
- Quite low ‘Buy It Now’ price: Now when the price of any brand new item, for e.g. computer or any electronic, is way below the fair market price then it must set off the alarms and should be avoided.
- Items which do not exist: Never bid on any item in the auction which does not exist in any of the store as in all likelihood the item either does not exist in the inventory of the seller or in case if it does, then it’s not legal. For e.g. items such as film DVDs which yet aren’t released on DVD or the computer systems with never released processors that are much faster than those available for sale in the market.
- Untraceable or unorthodox payment modes: Now at eBay, PayPal is the only valid mode for any online payment transactions. Be very cautious of the sellers who’ll request you for any of the untraceable wire transfers or ask you for the information about your bank account in the form of ‘e-checks’.
- Untested or unchecked item sellers: Here ‘untested or unchecked’ is synonym for the ‘broke’. Now even if the seller is quite honest about the status of the product, you still would be having a 50 percent chance of buying an item which actually works.
- Beware of any ‘Contact me before you bid’ offer: Now beware of the sellers who use the ‘Contact me before you bid’ key phrase in their item description. What they’ll do is, offer you that particular item directly, sidestepping eBay. After that they will acquire your hard earned money and then disappear and eBay won’t be having any transaction record and you also won’t be able to post any negative feedback.
- Out of the place goods: Beware of the sellers who are selling out of the place items/goods. Now this could also mean that the seller’s account has been hacked or compromised and the hacker is taking care of the transaction now.
- Contradictory details in the listings: Now in case if an 80 GB hard drive became a 250 GB hard drive or vice versa when you click it to view its listing, it means the seller is not to be trusted. Don’t assume that you’d get a better deal as most of the time you won’t.
- Listing without a seller: Now in case if you view any listing which seems as if it were copied from somewhere and there is no information about the seller, then don’t even think about bidding. Now this may mean that actually there are no items for sale purpose and the seller just wants to get hold of your hard earned money.
Understanding eBay bidding:
Now being new to eBay, it may sometimes seem unnecessarily complex due to the item bidding and pricing stuff. We’ll tell you how to effectively bid on eBay:
Two Kinds of Items:
- Fixed Price item.
- Auction Price item.
In generic, there are two basic ways to sell items on eBay:
- Fixed price items: These items are quite easy to find as these have a ‘Buy It Now’ button and a fixed price mentioned near it. And anyone can buy these items just by simply clicking on the ‘Buy It Now’ button.
- Auction price items: These items have a ‘Place your Bid’ button just near the box meant for entering your bids and it shows a ‘Current Bid’ price as well. Auction price items are open for a predetermined time limit. And when the time’s up, that particular item is stated as sold to the chief bidder.
- Many a times, some items have both of the buttons (‘Buy It Now’ as well as ‘Place your Bid’) and even show two prices at a time. It means such items are up for sale both ways. And in case if nobody clicks the ‘Buy It Now’ button, that particular item is sold to the chief bidder when the time’s up.
How to effectively Bid on eBay?
Now before you opt to bid, just consider the following points:
- eBay auction acknowledge the bids only for a specific time limit: On eBay, auction items are open for bids starting from 1 to around 10 days period. And when the time’s up, the chief bidder wins.
- Place a bid higher than the current bid: Now just beneath the bidding box, you’ll view the text ‘Enter the amount’. The amount visible is the current least bid and you’re required to enter at least this very amount in case if you wish to bid.
- You might pay lesser than your bid in case you win: Now after winning an auction one actually pays just a fraction of amount which is slightly more than the next chief bid.
- Winning bid means must buy: Now your auction bid is a binding legal contract. And in case when you win a bid, you have to purchase the particular item as well as make the payment to the seller.
- Make use of One-Click Bid for Small bids: Now during the last fifteen minutes of an auction, you can bid one digit higher than the current bid instantly by choosing the ‘One-Click bid’ button.
- The Automatic Bidding System: Numerous buyers use the eBay automatic bidding system which in turn reduce their frustration as well as improvise their bidding success, the details of which we are discussing below.
What is the eBay Automatic Bidding System?
Now the eBay Automatic Bidding System is usually provided to the bidder whose bid is currently higher in the auction listing. And via this system, eBay automatically bids on the higher bidder’s behalf.
Now this actually allows the bidders to bid quite high while simultaneously making sure that they actually don’t pay more than the amount required to hammer down their nearest rivals.
We’ll tell you how it works:
- Now if you wish to use the automatic bidding system, instead of the least current bid just bid your absolute maximum which you can pay willingly.
- And if the amount you’ve entered is higher than the bid by your rivals, then you’re the current higher bidder. Now, eBay will bid the auction automatically on your behalf till your latest bid is a small increment just above your nearest rival’s highest bid.
- And in case if the highest bid is not the maximum bid so far, eBay will register your bid and will continue to bid on the higher bidder’s behalf, which will automatically outbid you by a single bid increment.
- eBay automatically continues to bid on the highest bidder’s behalf till the auction time runs out.
What is Automatic Bidding Cautions?
Though the automatic bidding system sounds way too simple, some users finds it to be complicated. The main reasons for this confusion and complication are the following:
- Bidding is for everyone: eBay performs the automatic bidding not only for you (in case if you are the higher bidder) but also for all your rivals as well.
- The current highest bid is a secret: Now no one actually knows about the current highest bid by any bidder. So, no one is aware about the actual bid to outbid their rivals.
- People are unaware of this: Now numerous bidders actually don’t know about this particular eBay feature as eBay never advertise it that much, but it is mentioned on the help pages of eBay.
- Sniping. Now many eBay bidders have started to use 3rd party tools sites to arrange their highest bids which would automatically be placed few moments before the end of the auction. This is known as sniping.
Now sniping is not anyway against eBay policy, though it comes with numerous benefits as well as disadvantages.
How does the valet selling service work?
The valet selling service is a new and simple way to sell your stuff on eBay. Valets sell your items on your behalf, and you receive 70% of the proceeds of the sales for items that sell.
There are 2 ways to sell:
- Mail in your things—shipping is prepaid:
- Request a free postage-paid shipping label, and it’s emailed to you. Print it out and use it with any box.
- Request a free 12″ x 12″ x 12″ box and a postage-paid shipping label. It’s sent straight to your house.
- Drop off your things: In select locations, you can bring your items to an eBay drop-off center. Find a drop-off center near you.
How do valets determine how to price items?Valets research listings for items like yours on eBay. They look at items that have sold within the last 90 days. Based on this research, valets determine how to best list your items, including how to price them. Items are given multiple chances to sell on eBay for up to 2 weeks. When items are relisted, Valets reduce the price to increase the chances of selling.What types of items are excluded from the eBay valet program?Generally, items that are NOT eligible are:
- Items valued less than $40 by the valet
- Items heavier than 25lbs
- Items in poor condition (torn, stained, broken, worn, odors, not working etc.)
- Fragile items (e.g., china, vases, mirrors, paintings…)
- Items prohibited for sale on eBay (e.g., counterfeit, weapons, alcohol, tobacco, drugs)
What to and what not to expect from a Seller?
eBay shopping as well as buying could be an extremely enjoyable process, but be careful never to misjudge what the seller is trying to sell or never over-exceed your expectation which the seller might not be able to fulfill.
It is quite unfortunate but common to hear buyer’s woe or anger who complain about the bad products or poor services on eBay. Now whatsoever the reason might be, the number of unsatisfied clients on eBay is largely due to their own over- expectations rather than any bad performance of the seller.
Direct complaints as well as negative feedbacks are being considered quite serious and buyers who wish to enjoy healthy as well as long standing with eBay should be cautious not to have any over-expectations before any sale. Now do not put any negative feedback just simply coz you didn’t carefully read the item listing, as this act of yours may discourage other sellers who might not accept your bids in future.
What to do instead?
Now before being disappointed, carefully go through the following points to check if your expectations were too high or not, for the item:
- Used items are already used: Used items usually have wear and tear marks, few scratches and a shortened lifespan. Always consider these as part and parcel when you buy any used item.
- You’ll receive only the listed items: Now if a seller has listed only a digital camera, then you should expect only the digital camera and not any software, box, accessories, cables, instruction manuals etc. which usually come along with a brand new camera. So, before complaining for those extra accessories, just make sure that those items are listed.
- Broken items: Now if a seller has mentioned his items as ’AS-IS’, ‘untested’ or ‘unknown condition’ then possibly those items are broken. Therefore consider this as a vital indication that the seller is not promising anything about the condition of the item and he/she can’t be held responsible if the item you bought doesn’t work.
- Believe those shipping charges: Shipping fees is normally being charged from buyers. Now most often, buyers consider that sellers actually don’t mean it and if they buy the particular item the seller would be charging them lesser. It is the most common of all the complaints from many buyers and also the most frustrating for the sellers who list their charges clearly in advance.
- Shipping time: Now as most of the sellers are part-timers just like most of the buyers, it might take numerous days to ship any of the items and most of these would be shipped via any basic shipments available, unless stated otherwise. And as a buyer if you wish to receive your item as quick as possible, then make sure that you buy the item from a seller who promises fast shipments.
- The Return Policy: Now unless a seller exclusively mentions a return policy, never ever expect any seller to take back his/her item which you do not want any more for whatsoever reason as the item won’t be exchanged, returned or even refunded. And if a seller does provide a return policy, do believe that they would adhere to their terms.
How to return eBay Purchases?
Now it might happen one day that you would return your eBay item. Now there are a few points to bear in mind while you consider returning it:
- Check policy terms and notify the seller: Now without reading the policy terms don’t just start-up to box the item, then ship it back and expect your seller to refund you back automatically. Recheck the policy terms to ensure that exchanges or refunds are allowed and then notify your seller that you wish to return their item with a specific reason. After that carefully follow their instructions.
- Proper Packaging for return shipment: Here you can apply the regular packing rules — bubble wrap, a strong box as well as a tape — all in the order. And in case even if any received item is damaged or is in a defective state, just make sure that the seller receives the particular item without any further damage.
- Proper marking of the box: It’s quite vital to make sure that the particular eBay membership ID is properly visible somewhere over the box, for e.g. ‘Return from eBaymik0213’, to help the seller to identify your lot out of the multiple returns and timely credit yours.
- The tracking number as well as insurance: It is very important to opt for the return shipping which includes a valid tracking number as well as insurance, even in case if the particular item is damaged as the seller might need to receive the item in one piece to either exchange it or to refund.
- Patience and courteousness: Now in case if any transaction doesn’t work out the way you hoped it to work, it is still very important to be patient as well as courteous while your exchange or return is being processed. Just remember, a bit of understanding and patience would cover a long distance in this regard, since many eBay sellers are either small businesses or individuals who might not afford a big customer care service staff.